2009年7月8日水曜日

The Treaty of Waitangi


The treaty of Waitangi is really important thing in New Zealand's history. Maori people signed that treaty in 6 February 1840.

Naval officer Captain William Hobson came to NZ and he persuade the Maori people that Great Britain should take over the job of governing the northern part of NZ.

Henry Williams is very inportant person to sign this treaty because he translated the documents into Maori. He was not feeling too comfortable about this treaty because he had bought 4500 hectares from Maori, but he helped to persuaded the Maori chiefs to sign this treaty.

When I stayed in New Zealand, I went the big event of Waitangi Day in the Square. That day is the national holiday in NZ, so university had also no class. There were a lot of people and many stalls in the Square. A lot of Maori accessaries and post cards were sold there. I also saw many Maori people. There is the big stage in middle of the park, some people were talking and singing on the stage. A few people tried the tattoo of Maori in the park. It was really scary. After I got home and I turned on the TV, I watched a lot of reports about events of Waitangi day.

I think Waitangi Day is really important national holiday!Y



.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿